Unit 9 Tiếng Anh lớp 9 Ngữ pháp Language Focus Natural Disasters

1. Tác giả: LTTK CTV
    Đánh giá: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Tóm tắt bài

1. Unit 9 Lớp 9 Language Focus Part 1

Relative pronouns: who, that, which (Đại từ quan hệ "who", "that", "which")
    Trong tiếng Anh, đại từ quan hệ được dùng để thay thế cho chủ ngữ trong câu. Chúng gồm những đại từ quan hệ cơ bản được phân loại như sau
    a. Who
    • làm chủ từ trong mệnh đề quan hệ
    • thay thế cho danh từ chỉ người
    • ….. N (person) + WHO + V + O
    • Ex: The woman who is standing next to the door is my English teacher.
    b. Which
    • làm chủ từ hoặc tân ngữ trong mệnh đề quan hệ
    • thay thế cho danh từ chỉ vật
    • ….N (thing) + WHICH + V + O
    • ….N (thing) + WHICH + S + V
    • Ex:
      • The book which you borrowed me yesterday is one of the best seller.
      • The dog which has a short tail is the most intelligent.
    c. That
    • có thể thay thế cho vị trí của who, whom, which trong mệnh đề quan hệ quan hệ xác định
    • Các trường hợp thường dùng “that”:
      • khi đi sau các hình thức so sánh nhất
      • khi đi sau các từ: only, the first, the last
      • khi danh từ đi trước bao gồm cả người và vật
      • khi đi sau các đại từ bất định, đại từ phủ định, đại từ chỉ số lượng: no one, nobody, nothing, anyone, anything, anybody, someone, something, somebody, all, some, any, little, none.
    • Ex:
      • He wasthe most interesting personthat I have ever met.
      • It was the first time that I heard of it.
      • These books are all that my sister left me.
      • She talked about the people and places that she had visited.
    2. Unit 9 Lớp 9 Language Focus Part 2

Relative clauses (continued) Mệnh đề quan hệ
    Trong bài học Language Focus Unit 8, các em đã làm quen với mệnh đề quan hệ xác định. Ở bài học này tập trung giới thiệu và hướng dẫn các em về mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định.
    • Trái với mệnh đề quan hệ giới hạn, mệnh đề quan hệ không giới hạn chỉ cung cấp thêm thông tin phụ và không cần thiết để xác định danh từ đi trước nó, vì bản thân danh từ đó rõ ràng, đã được xác định rồi.
    • Ex: This business man, who works hard, always succeeds in life.
    • Một số lưu ý khi dùng mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định
      • Danh từ đứng trước mệnh đề quan hệ (antecedent) thường được xác định khi:
        • danh từ đó là một danh từ riêng (proper noun). Ex: Mr. Carter, who(m) I spoke on the phone last night, is very interested in our plan.
        • danh từ đó có chỉ định từ (demonstrative) this/that/these/those đứng trước. Ex: This boy,who(m) I told you about, is very good at maths.
        • danh từ có tính từ sở hữu đứng trước (possessive adjective). Ex: My father, who gave you a gift last night, is going to England next week.
        • danh từ đó có nhóm từ đi sau để phụ nghĩa. Ex: The strike at the car factory, which lasted 10 days, is now over.
      • Trước và sau một mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định bắt buộc phải có dấu phẩy (comma)
      • Đại từ quan hệ "That" không thể dùng trong các mệnh đề quan hệ không xác định. "That" không bao giờ đứng sau dấu phẩy, ta phải dùng đại từ quan hệ who(m) hay which thay thế.
      • "That" và "who" không thể theo sau một preposition (giới từ)
    3. Unit 9 Lớp 9 Language Focus Exercise

Unit 9 Language Focus Exercise 1

Use your knowledge to answer the questions. Use “who”, “which” or “that” in your answers and start your answers with the words given. (Sử dụng kiến thức của bạn để trả lời những câu hỏi. Dùng “who”, “which” hoặc “that” trong câu trả lời của em và bắt đầu câu trả lời với các từ cho sẵn)
    a) Which city in Japan was struck by a huge earthquake in 1995? (Thành phố nào của Nhật Bản bị tàn phá bởi trận động đất lớn năm 1995?)
    b) Which country won the 1998 Tiger Cup? (Đất nước nào giành cúp vô địch Tiger năm 1998?)
    c) Which animal has one or two horns on its snout? (Con vật nào có một hoặc hai sừng?)
    d) Which explorer discovered America? (Nhà thám hiểm nào tìm ra châu Mỹ?)
    e) Which planet is closest to the Earth? (Hành tinh nào gần Trái Đất nhất?)
    f) Which animal in Viet Nam was chosen to be the logo of SEA Games 2003? (Con vật nào được chọn làm biểu tượng cho SEA Games 2003?)
    g) Which ASEAN country is divided into two regions by the sea? (Đất nước nào trong Hiệp hội các nước Đông Nam Á bị biển chia làm 2 phần?)
    h) Which food you can chew but you cannot swallow and which one you can swallow but you cannot chew? (Đồ ăn nào bạn có thể nhai mà không thể nuốt và đồ ăn nào bạn có thể nuốt mà không cần nhai?)
    Guide to answer

a. The city which was struck by a huge earthquake in 1995 is Kobe.
    b. The country which won the 1998 TigerCup is Singapore.
    c. The animal which has one or two horns on its snout is the rhinoceros.
    d. The explorer who discovered America is Columbus Christopher.
    e. The planet which is closest to the Earth is Mars.
    f. The animal in Viet Nam was chosen to be the logo of SEA Games 2003 is the buffallo.
    g. The ASEAN country which is divided into two regions by the sea is Malaysia.
    h. The food and the food which we can swallow but we can't chew is water which we can chew but we can't swallow is chewing - gum.
    Unit 9 Language Focus Exercise 2

Match each of the sentences in column A with a related sentence on column B. Then use a suitable relative pronoun to join the two sentences. (Kết hợp những câu trong cột A với những câu có liên quan trong cột B. Sau đó dùng một đại từ quan hệ thích hợp để nối hai câu với nhau)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Guide to answer

(1 - e) Andrew is flying to Sacramento, which is the capital city of California.
    (2 - g) It snowed in Lang Son, which is on the Ky Cung River, in the winter of 2002.
    (3 - f) Pompeii, which is an ancient city of Italy, was completely destroyed in AD 79 by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
    (4 - a) Hurricane Andrew, which swept through southern Florida in August 1992, killed 41 people and made more than 200,000 homeless.
    (5 - c) The cyclone of November 1970 in Bangladesh, which is bordered by the Bay of Bengal on the south, was one of the worst natural disasters of the 20lh century.
    (6 - d) The most disastrous earthquake in Japanese history, which occurred in 1923, damaged Tokyo and Yokohama and killed about 150,000 people.
    (7 - b) The October 1989 Loma Prieat earthquake, which measured 7.1 on the Richter scale, caused extensive damage to older buildings in San Francisco Bay Area.
    Unit 9 Language Focus Exercise 3

Underline the relative clause in the sentence. Then add comma to separate the non - defining relative clause from the rest of the sentence. (Gạch dưới mệnh đề quan hệ trong câu. Sau đó thêm dấu phẩy để tách mệnh đề quan hệ không hạn định với phần còn lại của câu)
    a) Viet Nam which is in the south-east Asia exports rice.
    b) Kangaroos which come from Australia have long tails.
    c) Ba who lives in Trang Tien Street likes playing guitar.
    d) The novel that you gave me on my birthday has been lost.
    e) Neil Amstrong who first walked on the moon, lived in the USA.
    f) The chair that I bought yesterday is broken.
    g) Miss Lien who sings very well is my English teacher.
    Guide to answer

a. Viet Nam, which is in the south-east Asia, exports rice.
    b. Kangaroos, which come from Australia. have long tails.
    c. Ba, who lives in Trang Tien Street, likes playing guitar.
    d. Defining relative clause.
    e. Neil Amstrong, who first walked on the moon, lived in the USA.
    f. Defining relative clause.
    g. Miss Lien, who sings very well, is my English teacher.
    Unit 9 Language Focus Exercise 4

Rewrite the sentences in Exercise 3. Replace each underlined clause with a clause you have written. You may use facts or your imagination. (Viết lại các câu ở Bài tập 3. Thay các mệnh đề được gạch chân bằng các mệnh đề do bạn viết. Bạn có thể sử dụng các sự kiện hoặc trí tưởng tượng của mình.)
    Guide to answer

a. Vietnam, which is a country member of ASEAN, exports rice.
    b. Kangaroos, which stand for Australia, have long tails.
    c. Ba, whose house is on Trang Tien Street, likes playing the guitar.
    d. The novel, which I forgot on the table, has been lost.
    e. Neil Armstrong, who was the first man walking on the moon, was an American.
    f. The chair, which is in her room, is broken.
    g. Miss Lien, who is the youngest and loveliest in our school, is my English teacher.
    Bài tập minh họa

Combine each pair of sentences with who, which, that . Put in the comma (s) where necessary.
    1. The old man is my grandfather. He lives next door.
    2. Natalie is very friendly. She is a friend of Emma’s.
    3. We stayed at the Grand Hotel. Ann recommended it to us.
    4. The trousers are too small for me. I bought them yesterday.
    5. The new stadium will be opened next month. It can hold 90,000 people.
    6. Tulip computers are very good. They are made in Holland.
    7. The boy is Jane’s brother. He sat beside you at the party last night.
    Key
    1. The old man who/that lives next door is my grandfather.
    2. Natalie, who is a friend of Emma's, is very friendly.
    3. We stayed at the Grand Hotel, which Ann recommended to us.
    4. The trousers which/that I bought yesterday are too small for me.
    5. The new stadium which/that will be opened next month can hold 90,000 people.
    6. Tulip computers, which made in Holland, are very good.
    7. The boy who/that sat beside you at the party last night is Jane's brother.