21 Very Short Moral Stories For Kids - The Midas Touch - Cái chạm tay của vua Midas

1. Tác giả: LTTK CTV07
    Đánh giá: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Classic Moral Stories
    The classics are the best. These are short stories we have heard more than once, and even told more than once. But we like listening to these stories and telling them to our kids and anyone who is willing to listen!

2. The Midas Touch

In ancient Greek, there was a king named Midas. He had a lot of gold and everything he needed. He also had a beautiful daughter. Midas loved his gold very much, but he loved his daughter more than his riches.

One day, a satyr named Silenus got drunk and passed out in Midas’ rose garden. Believing that Satyrs always bring good luck, Midas lets Silenus rest in his palace until he is sober, against the wishes of his wife and daughter. Silenus is a friend of Dionysus, the god of wine and celebration. Upon learning Midas’ kindness towards his friend, Dionysus decides to reward the keg.

When asked to wish for something, Midas says “I wish everything I touch turns to gold”. Although Dionysus knew it was not a great idea, he granted Midas his wish.

Happy that his wish was granted, Midas went around touching random things in the garden and his palace and turned them all into gold. He touched an apple, and it turned into a shiny gold apple. His subjects were astonished but happy to see so much gold in the palace.

In his happiness, Midas went and hugged his daughter, and before he realized, he turned her into a lifeless, golden statue! Aghast, Midas ran back to the garden and called for Dionysus. He begged the god to take away his power and save his daughter. Dionysus gives Midas a solution to change everything back to how it was before the wish. Midas learned his lesson and lived the rest of his life contended with what he had.

Moral
    Do not get greedy. Be happy and content with what you have.

Song Ngữ - The Midas Touch - Cái chạm tay của vua Midas

Perhaps we all know the story of the greedy king named Midas. He had a lot of gold and the more he had the more he wanted. He stored all the gold in his vaults and used to spend time every day counting it.
    Có lẽ tất cả chúng ta đều biết về câu chuyện của ông vua tham lam có tên là Midas. Ông có rất nhiều vàng và càng có nhiều thì ông lại càng muốn có nhiều hơn nữa. Ông trữ vàng trong kho của mình và ngày nào cũng dành thời gian để đếm số vàng đó.
    One day while he was counting a stranger came from nowhere and said he would grant him a wish.
    Một hôm trong lúc ông đang đếm, thì một người lạ mặt không biết từ đâu tới đã nới rằng sẽ cho ông một điều ước.
    The king was delighted and said, "I would like everything I touch to turn to gold."
    Nhà vua rất vui và nói: "Tôi muốn mọi thứ tôi chạm vào đều sẽ biết thành vàng."
    The stranger asked the king, "Are you sure?"
    Người lạ mặt hỏi, "Ngài chắc chứ?"
    The king replied, "Yes."
    Nhà vua đáp, "Chắc"
    So the stranger said, "Starting tomorrow morning with the sun rays you will get the golden touch."
    Rồi người lạ mặt nói tiếp, "Kể từ sáng ngày mai, khi ngài chạm tay vào đâu, nơi đó sẽ biến thành vàng."
    The king thought he must be dreaming, this couldn't be true. But the next day when he woke up, he touched the bed, his clothes, and everything turned to gold. He looked out of the window and saw his daughter playing in the garden. He decided to give her a surprise and thought she would be happy. But before he went to the garden he decided to read a book. The moment he touched it, it turned into gold and he couldn't read it.
    Nhà vua nghĩ rằng mình đang mơ, và điều đó không thể nào là sự thật. Nhưng ngày hôm sau khi ông tỉnh dậy, ông chạm vào giường và quần áo của mình, và mọi thứ đều trở thành vàng. Nhà vua nhìn ra ngoài cửa sổ và thấy con gái mình đang dạo chơi trong vườn. Ông định làm cô ngạc nhiên và nghĩ rằng cô sẽ hạnh phúc. Nhưng trước khi ra vườn, ông quyết định đọc sách. Ngay thời điểm ông chạm vào cuốn sách, nó đã biến thành vàng nên ông không thể đọc được.
    Then he sat to have breakfast and the moment he touched the fruit and the glass of water, they turned to gold. He was getting hungry and he said to himself, "I can't eat and drink gold." Just about that time his daughter came running and he hugged her and she turned into a gold statue. There were no more smiles left.
    Sau đó, nhà vua ngồi dùng bữa sáng và ngay khi ông chạm vào thức ăn hay ly nước, chúng đều hóa vàng. Ông bắt đầu đói và tự nhủ, "Mình không thể ăn hay uống vàng được." Vừa lúc đó, cô công chúa chạy vào và nhà vua đã ôm lấy cô, công chúa trở thành một bức tượng bằng vàng. Không còn tiếng cười nữa.
    The king bowed his head and started crying. The stranger who gave the wish came again and asked the king if he was happy with his golden touch. The king said he was the most miserable man.
    Nhà vua ôm đầu và khóc. Người lạ mặt đã từng cho nhà vua điều ước quay lại và hỏi xem nhà vua có cảm thấy vui với điều ước của mình không. Nhà vua trả lời rằng ông là người đau khổ nhất.
    The stranger asked, "What would you rather have, your food and loving daughter or lumps of gold and her golden statue?"
    Người lạ mặt hỏi, "Ngài muốn điều gì, thức ăn và cô con gái yêu hay rất nhiều vàng và bức tượng con gái bằng vàng?"
    The king cried and asked for forgiveness. He said, "I will give up all my gold. Please give me my daughter back because without her I have lost everything worth having."
    Nhà vua khóc và cầu xin sự tha thứ. Ông nói "Tôi sẽ bỏ hết số vàng của mình. Làm ơn giúp con gái tôi sống lại vì không có cháu, tôi sẽ mất hết mọi thứ mình có."
    The stranger said to the king, "You have become wiser than before" and he reversed the spell.
    Người lạ mặt nói, "Ngài đã trở nên thông thái hơn lúc trước rồi" và ông rút lại lời nguyền.
    He got his daughter back in his arms and the king learned a lesson that he never forget for the rest of his life.
    Công chúa đã trở lại thành người và nhà vua đã học được một bài học đáng nhớ.