Sách bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 9 - Unit 9 - English in the world - D. Reading

1. Tác giả: LTTK CTV
    Đánh giá: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

1. Read the paragraph and choose the most suitable answer A, B, C or D for each of the gaps.
    Đọc đoạn văn sau và chọn đáp án đúng điền vào chỗ trống.
    I started (1) _______ English when I was 14 years old after five years of studying Russian. In the (2)_______ I encountered some difficulties learning the language, but I tried my (3) ____ to overcome them. Firstly, my English pronunciation was (4) ______by the way I spoke Russian. To solve this problem, I practised by listening to tapes in English
    every day. I played the tape, stopped after each sentence, and (5) ______ the sentence several times. At school, I joined an English speaking club (6) ____________ was organised by a teacher from Britain. She understood my difficulty and helped me very much in improving my pronunciation. Secondly, I found it really hard to learn English vocabulary. In Russian, the way you write the word is the way you pronounce it. However, English spelling is often (7) ____ from its pronunciation. To get over this difficulty I started using the dictionary. Whenever I learnt a new word, I looked it (8) __________ carefully in the dictionary. Then I tried to remember the way to read and write the word. After that, I wrote the word down several (9) ________ in a notebook. Gradually, I got (10)________ to the spelling system of the language. Now I'm confident that my English has become much better.
    1. A. gettingB. learningC. writingD. reading
    2. A. startB. beginningC. endD. begin
    3. A. mostB. selfC. bestD. hard
    4. A. effectedB. givenC. affectedD. rejected
    5. A. saidB. toldC. spokeD. repeated
    6. A. whichB. itC. andD. but
    7. A. differentB. the sameC. farD. prefer
    8. A. downB. onC. outD. up
    9. A. waysB. timesC. minutesD. lines
    10 .A. usedB. rememberedC. wellD. attracted
    Key - Đáp án:
    1. B 2. B 3. C 4. C 5. D
    6. A 7. A 8. D 9. B 10. A

2. Fill each of the blanks with an appropriate word to complete the passage.
    Điền từ thích hợp vào chỗ trống.
    It is not easy for adult students of English to improve their pronounciation. Unlike children, adults often find it hard to (1) the way they speak.This is why adult student have more difficulties in developing speaking (2) _______ than children. First
    of all, don't worry about not (3) ________ a native-English accent. It's more important to be able to speak (4) ____, so that people can understand you. Then there are several things that international students of English can do to improve (5) ___ pronounciation and to learn English well. An English (6) ______ helps you a lot in that it shows you the phonetic pronunciation of every word, which part of the word is stressed. You (7) ______ also join an English pronunciation class, or practise speaking and (8) ______ to native-English speakers as much as posscwe. etching TV programmes in English is another (9) way of improving your pronunciation. Above all, the best way to improve your prounciation is to learn English in an English-speaking country where you can learn the (10) _____ as well as its culture.
    Key - Đáp án:
    1. adapt/change 2. skills 3. having 4. clearly 5. their
    6. dictionary 7. can 8. listening 9. easy/good 10. language

3. Read the following passage and answer the questions.
    Today English is considered a global language or lingua franca. It is said that if you do not know and cannot use it well, you may meet lots of difficulties in the modern world. More and more peopk are learning English for several reasons.
    Firstly, they want to improve their knowledge. It is obvious that most of the important sources of information are now in English. We can easily find websites, journals, newspapers, and encyclopedias in English everywhere. If we know English well, we can attend quite a lot of online courses or go abroac to study. Many universities in different countries offer courses in English even though it is not th native language.
    Secondly, it is easier to get a well-paid job if you can use English. Most multinational companies require a certain degree of English proficiency from potential employees. Therefore, in order to get a position with a top company, more and more people are learning English. Even local companies now requi their staff to know English. The reason for that is they may have business relationships with companies in other countries which use English as their working language.
    These two reasons are the most common ones explaining why people like to, and need to, study English.
    1. What is the status of English in the world today?
    2. People cannot use English well, what may happen?
    3. How can we improve our knowledge if we know English?
    4. Do many universities in the countries where English is not their native language provide courses the language?
    5. Why are employees learning English?
    6. What are your reasons for learning English?
    Key - Đáp án:
    1. It is considered a global language or lingua franca.
    2. They may meet lots of difficulties in the modern world.
    3. We can get information from different sources in English and attend courses in English.
    4. Yes, they do.
    5. Because they want to get a position with a top company, or their companies require them to do so.
    6. Students'own answers.